Why It's Funny When Other People Get Hurt
One of the more unique things about the online role playing game Achaea are the deathsights. They can be run of the mill such as Person X was slain by the might of Person Y, but they can also show sly humour and interesting tidbits about the world. There is even a book of collected Deathsights in one or two of the Libraries of Sapience.
A deathsight, for those uninformed, is when a player dies a horrible death, and those with the deathsight ability see a descriptive and usually humorous message of how and what the player died to.
Deathsights from denizens, usually programmed in when an area is created, exist in a wide variety. A few choice ones are:
- Sick of being fished, a silver salmon has taken revenge on Ailchea.
- A fearsome lion will feed well upon the flesh of Laren.
- Nipping Hyano on the ankle, a slender snake has shown him that size isn't everything.
- Proving that alcohol and violence don't mix, Vera Shackles has slit the throat of Seruju with a broken martini glass.
- Distressing images from the Brass Lantern Inn depict Achar dying from the forceful blows of a serving tray.
However, sometimes they change!
- Helric has been slain by the might of a Runic Knight.
- An exuberant cheer rises up from the Runic Knights of Cyrene as the invader Dontarion is cleanly dispatched.
Adventurer deathsights, largely run of the mill, occasionally stand out when there is an ability that has a special deathsight:
- Ravim has seen the eternal glories of the mass, performed by Hopeless Dreamer, Darcmyst Trefenwyd, Renowned Scoundrel and others, and has been slain thereby.
- Summoned by Peirce, an avatar of Death has sent Severent to wander Maya's Halls.
- Chani falls in a blaze of silver to Sena Sharpfang's sword, Six Apes.
Occasionally, the juxtaposition of the adventurer’s names can cause great, albeit OOC humor:
- Religion has been slain by the might of Science.
- Radiostar has been slain by the might of Video.
- Tupac has been slain by the might of Notoriousbig.
Best of all are the deathsights that are invented on the spot by the Divine, or we reckon that is where they come from:
- Kazu has been pelted to death by a volley of bananas. (After he marketed ceaselessly for a baby gorilla that turned out to not exist.)
- Enacting vengeance upon a slayer of its bretheren, a butterfly of gigantic proportions has torn Merador apart. (After supposedly gathering up a large group of butterflies and killing them for some unknown purpose.)
- A colossal earth golem has obliterated Tiamat with a powerful blow, sending his entrails splattering across the ground. (After announcing a golem hunt and being told to beware by Lady Melantha.)
Some, we are only left to guess:
- Finchy has been strangled to death by a sock.
- Crathen has choked to death on a mouthful of soap.
- Santar has been used as a skipping stone across the oceans of Sapience.
Still others are quite possibly roleplaying (or boredom) by our Divine:
- The spirits of the ocean laugh and giggle as the waters swallow up the ship.
- A hundred thousand screams shout into the sky as an island city is swallowed by the ocean.
- A chicken has been slain by the might of Silban, the Butcher.
- A tree falls in the forest, killing a slothful squirrel.
- A cyrenian mountain climber has fallen off a cliff, never to trouble an angry mountain goat again.
- Polynikes has polished the floor with the brains of Braccas of Lothos.
All in all, deathsights contribute greatly to the flavor of Achaea and other IRE games. Log in to see many more!